Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Search Continues...

The last time I updated you about our house hunt, we were going to see a house (Dover Ave) a second time to see if we really wanted to put an offer in. After seeing it a second time, this time with family members in tow, we decided to make an offer. Our real estate agent informed us that an offer has just been put on the house, so we would be competing. We're always up for a little friendly competition, so we submitted our offer to the owner and gave them 48 hours to respond. They didn't need the whole 48 hours to let us know that they counter offered to the other offer they received... We're out, simply put.

At first I was almost relieved to hear that they went with the other offer. That may sound strange, but I was so nervous about it that I could hardly sleep for a couple of nights, and it was hard to focus at work. That house, and all the work it needed, consumed my thoughts. Plus, it was our first offer on our first home- that's enough to take my breath away for at least 30 seconds. I can't imagine how I would've responded had they accepted the offer!

After the feeling of relief set-in, I started to become a little disappointed. Mixed-emotions are pretty typical for me, as for just about every girl I know, so there's no surprise there. I was relieved that we didn't get it because the thought of the work to do and just buying a home was overwhelming, but then I was disappointed that we didn't get it because we really did love it. It would have been a great first home, despite all the work it needed. It would have been a great long-term home. Dare I say, it would have been a great family home...one day! None of that matters anymore because the Dover Ave house will not be ours. We're okay with that though. We know that it just means it wasn't met to be.

Spring is in the air, houses are going up for sale left and right, and our perfect house is somewhere out there! The search continues...

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on not getting that house! I say this because I totally believe that it wasn't meant to be if the offer wasn't accepted.

    Thanks for updating us, I was just thinking about you and your house hunt the other day.

    Can't wait to hear about the perfect home I know you will find!

    ReplyDelete