Wednesday, April 20, 2011

To Save or Vacation? That is the question.

Since January, Ryan and I have been little saving machines. Counting every dollar, pinching every penny. We’re both putting a set amount away per paycheck, as well as transferring anything extra over to savings that we don’t spend. Even though it is tough at times, we’ve done a really good job at sticking to it. When you have long term goals in mind, it makes it that much easier to save. We have a couple long term goals…pretty big ones. First, we plan to buy a house sometime (soon). Second, but almost as important, we have a wedding we’d like to start planning (and pay for). So, with those two things constantly on our minds (oh, and paying off debt), saving hasn’t been very hard…until now.
The arrival of clear, blue skies and beautiful, warm sunshine only means one thing for me. Vacation. It’s time to plan a vacation, specifically a beach vacation.

Dilemma. How do we justify a vacation when we’re trying to save? I feel like I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one. Ryan is completely fine saying no to a vacation right now, but I’m not. I know we’re trying to save, and I understand the bigger picture- we want a house, a wedding, and to pay off debt- but I still feel like it’s okay to go on vacation. I think we need to go on at least one vacation a year. We need to get away from work, from the stress of everyday life, from everything…just the two of us. We work our butts off, and we deserve a week-long getaway.
With Ryan I know this is a fight I’m not going to win. According to him, our next vacation is 18 months away, which would be our honeymoon. And that’s assuming we definitely get married in October 2012. Looks like I have 18 months of misery ahead. 18 months of wishing I was on the beach, soaking up the sun. Misery.
I still beg to differ, but I’m pretty sure we’re just going to continue saving and forego a beach vacation this year. Sad. He might win this battle, but I can tell you this… When we do buy a house and (finally) get married, we will most definitely be going on one vacation every year, if not more. But definitely, AT LEAST one.

3 comments:

  1. Savannah has a beach and a free place to stay :) Keep your head up, it will be worth it in the end, and we are on the saving journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get the important of savings, but I also tottaly understand your need for a vacation. I need it right now, too. Soo badly.

    I say vacation :S, am I a bad influence? Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Kelli! You can save AND take a vacation right? Maybe just not a week long? Do something cheaper for like a 4 or 5 day weekend.

    I'm probably not the best influence either - and I've never done the marriage/share money thing.... but my parents have spoiled me. I am very much accustom to AT LEAST one vaca a year. And usually, I'll scrimp with the cash flow everywhere but the vaca fund! (Including sacrificing food! Yep, I've done it.) Plus, when I know my vaca money isn't in the budget - I tend to start picking up miscellaneous jobs. :) A girl has to have a vacation!

    I'm going to have to 2nd Megan too - Savannah has a beautiful beach! :) It's not Jamaica, but it's free!

    ReplyDelete